Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Surviving the First Night 8/30

I woke up to the boat a’rockin’. A little light seeped through my cabin’s faded yellow curtain. I guessed it was the sun coming up and popped up to take a look.

I don’t know what I was expecting when I lifted back the curtain… but it wasn’t what I saw. Black water was surging below, bubbles were frothed up and my stomach was up in my throat. I can’t say it was scary, but it sure wasn’t comforting. But it was thrilling and it IS the reason why I went on this trip.
We are already a little stir-crazy, having never had to wait more than a few hours to get to a destination by plane or car. Our first stop will be on Sunday the 7th into Salvador, Brazil. It will be my first taste of a culture outside of North America… and the start of my de-shelter-ization!

This sure isn’t jersey because… my friends saw whales at breakfast.

No comments: